ABOUT GFGM

gastronomy
ɡaˈstrɒnəmi/
noun
  1. the practice or art of choosing, cooking, and eating good food.



Good Food, Good Mood was established after I realised how often I was asking myself the difficult question of "Where and what should we eat today?". The Melbourne food scene truly makes us spoilt for choice, so I am hoping my honest reviews can act as a guide for any occasion - from cheap eats to fine dining, to burgers and pizza on cheat days, to fresh and healthy on cutting days. Recommendations on places to try and review are always welcome, just leave a comment.

All photos are taken with my Samsung Note 4 or Sony NEX-F3 unless stated otherwise. Thanks for dropping by!

- Lisa Pizza xo


P.S. Shoutout to my friends and family who dine with me - thanks for not picking up your cutlery when the food comes out so I can take all my food photos... y'all know my camera eats first haha.

Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio



One of the things I hate about Melbourne is RAINY WEATHER DURING SUMMER OR SUNNY WEATHER DURING WINTER. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, MOTHER NATURE. I was looking forward to coming back to uni with a nice glow, but I'm still yellow as ever. So what does Lisa do when the weather is intolerable? She eats and shops, obviously. We started the day with Yum Cha at New Royal Garden where the food was subpar but the customer service was excellent. You wouldn't expect genuine hospitality from any Asian restaurant, anywhere! We waddled out of the restaurant and made our way to South Yarra to do some Chap Lapzzz. I hadn't been there in such a long time so I'm glad I did today. We parked in the Woolworths underground parking and was given a ticket (that lasted until 9pm) by a complete stranger, saving us $6+. Thank you, kind sir! Hope you get good karma :)




The weather picked itself up and the sun was shining which put me in an EVEN BETTER mood and allowed me to concentrate on my shopping. I picked up a pair of sandals for $10 from Top Shop which I was verrrry happy about! At first I didn't like the fact that you couldn't see my toes but they are so comfortable and I love the material. I'm planning on throwing out / selling my ENTIRE wardrobe and buying a couple of expensive pieces that I can wear all the time. I get sucked in by sales and it's not a healthy habit. 


Speaking of unhealthy habits...............

Considering I had resisted the urge to buy everything in Chapel Street, I felt as though I deserved a treat to end my day. What better way than to celebrate with cake???????? I'll be honest, I've eaten cake everyday since my birthday (a week ago today), but I swear I'll stop today! Eating out is hurting my back pocket and my birthday week is NOW DECLARED OVER (a special mention to everyone who made my birthday super excellent because I owe all my smiles to you).

As soon as I walked in to Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio, I was pretty disappointed that there were no seating areas. The two walls were filled with sweet goodies such as honeycomb, homemade icecream and handmade chocolate eggs and animal shapes, in preparation for Easter. The back of the little studio was a room full of pastry chefs hard at work. Le Petit Gâteau and LuxBite have the cooking studio in the back but they still offer seats and tables for their patrons....... I expected Burch & Purchese to have tables and seats, where there is coffee and tea to order. I loved the cake layout but I didn't have a personal feel towards the place.

I probably wouldn't recommend Burch & Purchese unless you were buying a whole cake for a reaaaally special occasion. It costs an arm and a leg to eat there - $9~ for a slice of cake and $8 for the homemade ice cream that is the size of a Magnum. Not only were the cakes overpriced, the girls behind the counters were unfriendly and not helpful at all. Smile more, it doesn't cost you.


^ Yes, that is ALL MADE BY CHOCOLATE. Isn't it beautiful?

^ the newest craze going around - cake pops! Coles sell them too, and the last time I checked they were $1 each because no one was buying them. Awks.
^ Looking for something to buy your gal / boy? Don't buy roses, buy some edible cake pops that look devine. I didn't buy any because I'm pretty sick of them at this moment, I'll love them again soon. 



Boo, I'm still getting used to my new camera. I am NO LONGER using my Canon point and shoot, but I am slowwwwly learning how to effectively use my new Sony NEX F3 :) Giraffe bought it for my birthday and I'm still getting used to all the functions so I apologise that this photo is blurry, I'm actually so annoyed about it. ANYWAYS... this was the Pineapple / Mango / Chocolate cake. Weird combination, right? I really enjoyed it until the chocolate part started coming up. I felt like I was in the Masterchef Professional episode where Zumbo made them remake the V8 cake. There was too much going on and you lose sight of the important flavours. The texture of the cake was great, don't get me wrong. Very airy and easy to push through with your spoon. However, I probably wouldn't pay $9 for it every again. I guess I'll have to come back and try the other cakes.



Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio
Address: 647 Chapel Street South Yarra VIC 3141
Contact Number: 9827 7060
Hours: Everyday 10am-6:30pm
Price Range: $$$
Website: http://www.burchandpurchese.com/



Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment