ABOUT GFGM

gastronomy
ɡaˈstrɒnəmi/
noun
  1. the practice or art of choosing, cooking, and eating good food.



Good Food, Good Mood was established after I realised how often I was asking myself the difficult question of "Where and what should we eat today?". The Melbourne food scene truly makes us spoilt for choice, so I am hoping my honest reviews can act as a guide for any occasion - from cheap eats to fine dining, to burgers and pizza on cheat days, to fresh and healthy on cutting days. Recommendations on places to try and review are always welcome, just leave a comment.

All photos are taken with my Samsung Note 4 or Sony NEX-F3 unless stated otherwise. Thanks for dropping by!

- Lisa Pizza xo


P.S. Shoutout to my friends and family who dine with me - thanks for not picking up your cutlery when the food comes out so I can take all my food photos... y'all know my camera eats first haha.

Belle's Diner, Fitzroy

^ Behind the bar. Image taken by me and edited (like an amateur) with iPhoto.

Hello my sweet pea loyal readers,
Sorry for the blogging hiatus. I seem to be apologising every single time I write a new post. If you were actually curious as to my M.I.A status, exams are right around the corner and the stress is starting to kick in. Despite the stress, I really needed to update this blog before it builds up dust and people forget to read it... (plz dun 4get bout me xoxo)

Ok so I just landed in America, hence why I my experience at this diner. I'm not actually in America (I WISH), but just use your imagination, ok? Whilst browsing on Broadsheet looking for new places to eat at, I stumbled upon Belle's Diner, and I'm seriously glad I did.

It was new, with an old school twist at the same time... major oxymoron, I know. The diner is located behind my uni on Gertrude Street, so I was very pleased. I drove past the diner at approximately 12:45pm and it was EXTREMELY BUSY. The windows are all glass, so there is nothing stopping you from staring from the inside to the outside world. We got there at about 2:15pm and it was rather empty, which I was happy about. Seeing a foodie place that is full can only mean two things, 1. That the food/ambiance/people/music must be really really really really amazing, and 2. be mentally prepared to wait a long time for your food to be served. I have a poor temper when I am hungry (apologies to those who have witnessed this hungry gremlin). 

^ Have you guys seen Looper? Doesn't it remind you of the diner scene?
The clock was of accurate timing also, I want one in my room.
The chairs are so old fashioned and reminded me of church alters.
^ Brunch/Lunch is served.
^ Southern Fried Chicken, $17 
When I asked the waiter how many pieces you get with this option, he said four. PRETTY SURE IT WASN'T FOUR PIECES, it was defs a lot more than that. The meat was extremely tender and so much better than the chicken skin at Pappa Rich. I tried a bit of the coleslaw salad which was rather dry but still had a great tangy flavour. As for the sweet BBQ sauce, it tasted like perfection when dipped with the chicken. This is more of a snack than a meal, unless you order the fries. 

The old style fries were great. $7 for a bowl; they were crispy, fresh and had a salt on it which was comparable to Nando's peri peri salt. But unlike Nando's, the salt was fortunately all over the chips, not just sprinkled on the top.
^ Latte $3.50 from memory
It was very strong, but a good type of strong. They don't have chai (boooooo) but it was still good nonetheless. I loved the colour of the teacup as well.
^ Instagram: badasiandriver for more images

The waiters were relaxed, dressed well and were very helpful. 
The bathroom was rather annoying, as the toilet is facing a massive mirror on the wall. I don't want to stare at myself while I'm doing the business, and I didn't want to look down on the floor either.
The ambiance was very 1950's ancient American. I really liked the plain feel of the place.
The menu was very limited, but amazing nonetheless. I am coming back for the mussels.
The music was relaxing and very alternative, as you would expect for a funky place on Gertrude Street.
Don't be fooled by the name though. It is nothing compared to Misty's Diner which is greasy (but still DELICIOUS), colourful and more Americanised with sweets and soft drink sodas.

Overall I would recommend this place to anyone who are looking for a place to catch up with friends, or to experience the history of America, as Belle's really hit the spot with it. Keep in mind that they don't open on Mondays, because let's be serious, we all hate Monday.

Belle's Diner
150-156 Gertrude Street Fitzroy
(03) 9077 0788

1 comment:

  1. I pass this place once and the DINER sign caught my eyes.
    Definitely going there soon !

    ReplyDelete