ABOUT GFGM

gastronomy
ɡaˈstrɒnəmi/
noun
  1. the practice or art of choosing, cooking, and eating good food.



Good Food, Good Mood was established after I realised how often I was asking myself the difficult question of "Where and what should we eat today?". The Melbourne food scene truly makes us spoilt for choice, so I am hoping my honest reviews can act as a guide for any occasion - from cheap eats to fine dining, to burgers and pizza on cheat days, to fresh and healthy on cutting days. Recommendations on places to try and review are always welcome, just leave a comment.

All photos are taken with my Samsung Note 4 or Sony NEX-F3 unless stated otherwise. Thanks for dropping by!

- Lisa Pizza xo


P.S. Shoutout to my friends and family who dine with me - thanks for not picking up your cutlery when the food comes out so I can take all my food photos... y'all know my camera eats first haha.

David's Restaurant

I don't enjoy eating at Asian restaurants that have a Westernised spin on it. I feel as though it loses it's sense of originality and culture (if owners do it wrong), but it is a good concept nonetheless. When you think of an Asian restaurant, you think of waitresses that can't speak English properly, but speak Money fluently anddddd you think of fast service, dirty kitchens and cheap menus. True?

Giraffe has been working at David's Restaurant for months, but I was yet to dine in. There had been the occasional visit here and there to see him, but tonight I decided to order something from the menu. It is safe to say, I was not disappointed. Truth be told, I have never been a fan of eating alone. I like to share my food and talk and laugh and talk and eat and talk during a meal. But over time, you appreciate that time alone. Eating and observing your surroundings... it gives you time to read a book or read the news on my iPad. Friday night was spent eating alone, even if Giraffe was working and floating around.

^ the corner of the paper menu, a fish eye effect.
^ DIY Shredded duck salad with four wraps. $14.

I didn't order a lot of food because I had already eaten some nibbles before work. The duck salad had a really strong taste that was too overwhelming. I really enjoyed the concept of making my own wraps, because I love going to peking duck places. At a small price of $14, you get the best of both duck and wrap worlds. I would endeavour to go back, the portion size was fantastic. Apparently they do a really good yumcha on a Sunday as well. The location (Prahran) of this place is a bit out of the way, off Chapel Street near Revolvers, but it's worth the travel. The interior is really nice and the waitresses speak english and are very pleasant people. 

1.2.
^ This is what got me REALLY EXCITED about the dining experience. I love ordering hot beverages with my meals. I'm used to seeing your mediocre white teaset with a boring teacup. But this design really blew my mind. It was a THREE IN ONE PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As you can see from image 2, it is served as a plain teacup. It cost me $5.50 but I got another one for free from a different waiter, so I did not mind paying that price one bit :) When they served it, they mentioned that if I were to take the top piece out, put it back in slowly or else it would overflow. I was sitting around waiting for my teacup... until I started playing around with it. I understood what he meant by overflowing... The leaves are in a separate glass piece, as you can see from the image below. When the tea and hot water have finished infusing, you turn the lid upside down and place the glass piece with the leaves on top. And viola, you drink the tea from the base cup. I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think they sell them at Oriental Teahouse because these restaurants are linked. I should probably go have a browse and get my hands on this versatile piece of genius. 

^ Jasmine and Lychee Tea. The best combination. IT WAS DELICIOUS.
^ERMGAGGHHGHHHEHHHRRRDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
^ Instagram: badasiandriver
^ getting bored and playing around with panorama.


David's Restaurant
4 Cecil Place, Prahan 3181
(03) 9529 5199

1 comment:

  1. That tea idea is freaking awesome! I'm an Aussie, and when I traveled through Europe I had never seen before this whole pouring the tea into a glass before. But then I arrived in Copenhagen, and I was like, 'what are these crazy kids doing?' Now I'm a fan! It's quite beautiful to watch the whole tea process, how the colour seeps from the teabag into the water - Soph
    http://meidjeverloren.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete